It’s time to trade that poolside Pina Colada for a giant glass of water.
How many times have you heard to drink 8 glasses of water a day to stay healthy? I’m guessing A LOT. FACT: 50 – 70% of our body mass is made up of water. Every function and organ in some form depends on water. You have to drink it. But WHY else? How exactly does it benefit you and what happens to your body when you are dehydrated? Read below for some incredible beauty & health benefits that will have you drinking water all day long!
BUT FIRST, WATER! When you wake up in the morning, you are dehydrated. Most people head right to the kitchen to fill up a mug of coffee before they run out the door. When you immediately drink coffee without having water you are dehydrating yourself even more because coffee is a diuretic. So water first, coffee later!
1. ANTI-AGING & ANTI-ACNE BENEFITS – When your body is dehydrated, your skin is too. When your skin is dehydrated it creates more oil to make up for missing water. This leads to dryness, wrinkles, acne breakouts, irritations, dark circles, puffiness, and flaky skin. Water makes the skin more elastic, therefore preventing wrinkles and plumping your skin. Water is also essential for the production of new skin cells. When you regenerate new and healthy skin cells you can achieve healthy, glowing skin.
2. STRESS RELIEVING – Cortisol is your body’s main stress hormone. Even a little bit of dehydration can cause cortisol levels to rise and increase stress. When you stay properly hydrated it keeps your cortisol and stress levels down.
3. WEIGHT LOSS - Water does not magically make you lose weight. What is does is take up proper space in your stomach so you aren’t mistaking thirst for hunger. When you don’t get enough water, your hunger hormones and natural eating cues are knocked off balance. Drinking enough water throughout the day will reset your brain to learn when you are actually hungry, therefore snacking and eating less. This is what leads to overall weight loss.
4. BOOSTS CONCENTRATION & FOCUS – Your brain is made up of about 75% water. When you don’t get enough water your ability to focus, concentrate, and remember things drastically decreases. So for an overall increase in brain function, water is key for a successful day.
5. IMPROVES DIGESTION – Without water your digestive system slows down and becomes backed up and sluggish. When that happens you may experience troubles digesting food, bloating, sickness rashes, and unwanted breakouts. Water helps to flush waste, reduce cholesterol, and lowers blood sugar spikes which reduces your body storing excess fat.
6. DETOXIFYING – Water helps cleanse and detox your stomach by regulating liver and kidney function. This helps your body to absorb nutrients and properly eliminate waste and toxins.
7. BOOSTS YOUR MOOD – When you hydrate, it helps your body’s naturally replenish its supply of serotonin. The “happy” hormone which regulates anxiety, happiness, mood, and prevents against depression.
Tip: How do you know you are dehydrated? For starters, if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Secondly you can check your urine. If it’s dark in color and has a strong smell, you are dehydrated and it’s time to drink some water!
Discover the health and beauty benefits of drinking water.